Sunday, November 13

30 Days of Pumpkin- Day 4 Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake


I found this one on Foodnetwork.com.  I absolutely love Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake so when I saw this recipe, I thought "YES."  Yes whipped cream is the perfect accompaniment for pumpkin pie, but just think "butter and pumpkin" altogether.  What could be better?  Then I had a brillant idea.  Why not halve the recipe and make a pan of butter cake and a pan of pumpkin butter cake?  I'm always trying to cut the recipes down now that it's just me and the hubs.  So here is what I did.

1  box yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup fresh cooked pumpkin, pureed
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16oz) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Divide in half and pat the mixture into the bottom of 2 lightly greased 8x8 baking dishes.


In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Divide in half.  Spread half the mixture over the cake batter in one of the  baking dishes.  Add the pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the other half and mix well.  Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter in the second baking dish and bake both for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.


Serve with fresh whipped cream.  Or not.  I took it to my Bible Study just how you see in the picture and they loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment